Two men accused of lying to a conservation officer

An Indiana Conservation Officer suspected a trespasser wasn’t giving him correct information, then the alleged trespasser’s friend showed up and told the same story. Now they have both been arrested, accused of false informing, and a few other things.

Douglas McCall

Douglas McCall

The alleged trespasser, Douglas Lynn McCall, 38, Linton, was arrested on Saturday morning, February 23, by Indiana Conservation Officer Greg Swanson of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division. McCall was taken into custody on two outstanding warrants for his arrest, one on a conviction of dealing methamphetamine, a Class B felony, the other on a conviction of neglect of a dependent resulting in bodily injury, a Level 5 felony. In both cases, petitions to revoke McCall’s suspended sentences were filed.

In the newest case, McCall has been charged with criminal trespassing, a Class A misdemeanor, and false informing resulting in a substantial hindrance to law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor.

Justin Frye

Justin Frye

The alleged trespasser’s friend, Justin Edward Frye, 35, Linton, was not arrested on the scene but was taken into custody by Courthouse Security Deputy Patrick Fulford yesterday, Thursday, March 7, on a warrant after a criminal case was also filed against him. Preliminary charges against Frye include assisting a criminal, a Level 6 felony, and false informing resulting in a substantial hindrance to law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor.

These charges stem from an incident that occurred on Saturday, February 23. Around 9:15 a.m., ICO Swanson noticed a man, McCall, walking on property owned by a family east of County Road 1100 West near County Road 625 North. The walker was 100 yards from the county road on a lane that had a locked cable and a “No Trespassing” sign posted.

When Swanson made contact, the man, later identified as McCall, had his phone out and said he was trying to contact his friend who had dropped him off earlier. He said he was doing some work for him on the property. He said his friend’s name was Justin Frye. Swanson said he knew the landowner and Frye was not the landowner. McCall said Frye worked for the landowner’s company.

McCall said he didn’t have his driver’s license with him and he hesitated to give the officer his name. Swanson thought McCall was trying to mislead him and asked him if he had a warrant out. McCall said no and that his name was Johnathan McCall. Swanson checked the records through dispatch with no luck on that name.

Swanson asked McCall his name again and got the same info. In the meantime, dispatch checked with the landowner who said he was not familiar with Johnathan McCall. The landowner did say Frye had a camper on the property and permission to be on the property.

Swanson told McCall to provide him with correct information or he was going to arrest him for trespassing and figure out who he was at the jail. For the third time, McCall gave the same info.

Around 10 a.m., Justin Frye arrived, and he confirmed the same story that McCall had given, advising McCall’s name was John McCall and said he had known him since he was 15 years old.

Swanson was then told by dispatch that a Linton police officer advised the suspect may be Doug McCall and he had two felony warrants out for his arrest.

Swanson walked to McCall, handcuffed him and asked him if his name was Doug. McCall then admitted it was.

Turned out McCall did have a driver’s license in his wallet, with the name of Douglass McCall.

When McCall was transported to the Greene County Jail, he allegedly said he had texted Frye before Frye arrived and told him what to tell the officer.

Bond for Frye was set at $5,000 surety with ten percent cash allowed. He posted $500 cash, was released the same day and ordered to be in court for his initial hearing on April 1.

McCall is not being held in the newest case – no bond set, but in the other two previous cases, bond in each is set at $5,000 surety with ten percent cash allowed. As of Friday, March 8, McCall had not posted bond and was still in jail.